vitamin sea in #obx

August 10, 2016

The past few weeks have been such a whirlwind! Between saying goodbye to friends back home, packing up my life into my tiny little car, vacation with the family, and road tripping out to Colorado, I’m just now getting time to process all of it. Talk about overwhelming. I’ve got a lot of recaps and pictures coming soon from my road trip out here, but first things first—the Outer Banks was far too great of a vacation to not document.

Last week I was on vacation with my family and best friend, Carly, in the Outer Banks. I can’t say enough how much I loved it there. I’m (not so) secretly keeping my fingers crossed that my parents decide to go in on a summer house there in the coming years—new family tradition guys?! We rented a beautiful house in Avon, a cute little beach town with awesome seafood and an even better beach. I think my favorite part of the house we rented was it’s perfect location. We had a view of the bay and the sunset, and were a close enough walk to the beach that Carly and I were able to get up one morning to see the sunrise. Apart from the house’s location, I absolutely loved the water, and thankfully Carly did too, so by the end of each day we found ourselves totally wiped from playing in (or getting wrecked by) the waves.

We drove all the way down to OBX from Vermont; it was a haul for sure. 16 hours of driving is not my thing, but we split it between two days so it wasn’t terrible. The first day we drove 8 hours to Maryland and got absolutely down poured on for the majority of the ride. My dad and three of my buddies (shout out to the Brewster brothers!) had valiantly attached a soft rack to my roof via bungee cord and what not, and Carly and I were very amused when after about two hours of straight rain, suddenly it was raining in my car. The cords were attached to the “oh shit” bars inside my car and got so soaked that they started to drip.

 Between listening to Serial: Season 1 and laughing over the fact that it was quite literally raining in my car, the first day flew by. The second day on the other hand, not so much. We got stuck in so much traffic on the way down to the Outer Banks. It was brutal. But we made it in time for dinner at Ketch 55 (so delicious!) and took in the lovely view from the bay.

 The first day we went to the beach, Carly and I got absolutely fried. We were total flakes on sunscreen and definitely paid for it. A week later and I’m still peeling. I don’t think I’ve ever been so burned in my life, it was just so uncomfortable. The second day we went to the beach we were super diligent with our sunscreen! After another great beach day, my brother made all seven of us dinner and then he and my cousin ventured out to the bay to go fishing. If you follow me on Snapchat (emx13), you definitely saw this expedition on my story. My narrating skills are super on point and apparently super annoying because the night ended with me getting hit in the face with a dead fish. On a lighter note, the sunset that day was absolutely gorgeous.






The third day we set out in the morning to see the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. There’s a special place in my heart for lighthouses and I was so happy to make this trip despite the heat. We didn’t climb up the 200 and something steps to the top of the lighthouse, but honestly, I was relieved. It was a gorgeous beach day yet again, the waves were huge, and for as much as I love lighthouses, all I wanted to do was get to the beach. That night we went to Dirty Dick’s Crab House for dinner, and it was awesome. The name makes it even better. The last day we were in the Outer Banks, Carly and I woke up at 5:45 to walk to the beach and catch the sunrise. Neither of us are great at waking up, but we made our coffee and set out for the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen. It was so, so incredibly worth it.





After we got back and had some breakfast, we set out to take the ferry to Ocracoke Island. The ferry ride from Hatteras is about an hour, and when we finally got on the island, we grabbed some lunch at Smacnally’s. Carly and I were exhausted and didn’t exactly realize that the trip was a day trip, so when we got back from Ocracoke around 3pm we went straight to the beach!


It was hard saying goodbye to one of the best vacations I’d been on in a while, and it was especially bittersweet knowing that I was leaving my family behind for Colorado. I’m an east coaster at heart, so the transition out to Colorado thus far has been a mixture of excitement, nerves, sadness, and relief. Super conflicting, but that’s a story for another time 🙂 Here’s to a lovely trip with my favorite people! I miss them already, but am so excited for what’s to come out here in Colorado. Stay tuned for a recap of our road trip out!


You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply